Friday, March 21, 2014

Achievement Day

For those not in my dance world, this won't mean much. But achievement day is essentially the one day each term that we perform the routine we've been learning in front of adjudicators and are marked. They are usually very kind in their feedback making note of things you did well and suggesting a focus for next time. They use a grading system a bit like Uni, commended pass, highly commended pass, high distinction an honours. (So far I've always got high distinctions with one honours on a silver rumba). 

It's kind of nerve racking, some people get insanely stressed about it, some have a quick drink before hitting the floor, but as long as I manage to stay on my feet I know I've passed and I'm happy. Rumour has it that even if you do fall and get back up to try again, you'll still pass...I'm not willing to test that out though. 

There are different levels of each dance style. So you start at bronze, bronze bar, silver, silver bar then gold. (There is more above gold but I'm so far from that I haven't really paid much attention). Generally you can complete 2 bronze/bar routines a term, but silver/bar is usually one a term and most people spend 2 terms working in one gold routine. 

Today I'm completing a silver street Latin meringue routine, that I've only spent 4x 30min private lessons learning. It's evidence you really do 'get' stuff faster one on one. 

I was planning on taking this entire term off to recover, but was feeling so good and missing dancing that I've eased back in with private lessons instead. 

The weight loss is so noticeable on the dance floor. My teacher is so complimentary about how good I'm looking and dance friends haven't recognized me. But the really big stuff, my feet no longer ache (in dance runners, will see how they hold up in heels today), I'm not out of breath after a single rotation of the routine, spins are easier, my teachers arms fit around me (with a gap). Just last week my teacher yelled at me (we yell and swear at each other a lot, it's how I roll) 'STOP DANCING LIKE A FAT GIRL. YOU'RE NOT THAT FAT GIRL ANYMORE SO JUST STOP IT!'  

I'm not nervous about today, yet, but I am struggling with deciding what to wear. In the past I've only had one dress that fits, in a size 22. Funnily that dress still fits and sits much nicer, but is a bit of a knicker flasher during spins (which this routine has a heap of). I have discovered I have a size 18 dress that fits and looks good, or several size 20 skirts that work and even a size 16 skirt. (Women's clothing sizes are fucked for the record). Nice to have options, but was certainly easier when there was no choice ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment