Sunday, January 26, 2014

Early days at home

Time at home involved lots of laying around. In bed. On the couch. Add to that my hourly waddle around the house to try and help shift the gas. Naturally gas shifting includes a heap of burping and farting. 

Sleeping was hard. I hoped being back in my own bed would help, but it didn't really. As a tummy sleeper, it was obvious that wasn't going to happen. So I thought back to the last time I couldn't sleep on my stomach....pregnancy. During pregnancy I would use pillows to build a nest around me that kind of worked, so I tried this again and got a solid 6 hours sleep. Bliss. 

Hubby slept with me the first night. Clinging to the edge of the bed as I tossed and turned and crept across the bed with my nest of pillows. Thursday night rolled around and he asked 'would you be very offended if I slept on the couch tonight?' Poor man. But he has slept on the couch for a few nights to give me the space to get comfortable. Which is kind and generous and appreciated. 

The first 2 weeks post surgery is liquids only. So my days are filled with juice, protein shakes, yoghurt, custard and soup. I'm getting really really bored with this and hanging out to actually chew something. But these days aren't forever, and the end is worth the short term boredom. 

Each day I'm feeling better and better. Walking easier and less hunched and shuffled. 

To anyone thinking about doing this and worrying about the pain. Honestly, there has been minimal pain. Discomfort, sure. But no unbearable pain that hasn't been quickly relieved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment