Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Nothing left to do but wait.

All my appointments are done, all the invoices are paid and there is nothing to do but wait. 

Met with the pre admissions nurse on Monday. Had the small people with me and had to laugh when she asked as gently as she could; 'so, umm, you've got help at home afterwards. Don't you?'  I assured her that hubby has a week and a half off to deal with the kidlets. Seems 2 kids who haven't seen their mum for 5 days in a small drs room isn't a great idea. 

She chatted about what will happen on the day and the few days after. I asked about a certificate for work that would allow me to attend meetings but not teach. She suggested I should type and print myself and he will just sign them. 

I was informed that 24 hours prior to surgery I will be on liquids only. So Sunday breakfast will be my last solids for a few weeks. That will be fun for the birthday lunch we have to attend Sunday. 

Then she dropped the bombshell. I have to go in Sunday night for a clexane injection. Gah! They are the worst ever. They sting like a bitch. I very much remember them from time in hospital having the kids. Hated them then, gonna hate them again. 

Tuesday I was back to see the dietitian to talk about fluid only diet for 2 weeks post op. Fruit & veg juice, soups, up & go type stuff. As long as it fits up a straw. Hoping the weather is a bit kinder during this time, as I don't mind soup. Apparently the focus during this time is about staying hydrated, and not so much worry about calories. Oh and of course giving my new stomach time to heal and for the swelling to go down. 

After the first few days I should be aiming for 1lt of 'nutritional' liquids a day and 1lt of water. 

See the surgeon and dietitian again 2 weeks after the op. At that time, we will talk about the introductions of more solid type food. I believe it's a bit like a baby, purées, lumps, go. 

Also had to have a fasting blood test Tuesday. (Could have done it Monday, but ya know, kids). They took 7, yes 7, vials of blood and did an ECG. If I require a blood transfusion or discover I'm pregnant before Monday I MUST let them know. I figure if I'm requiring a blood transfusion before Monday, I'll probably be in no shape for this surgery anyway. And after a tubal ligation when my daughter was born, (and currently having period) if I discover I'm pregnant there's going to be heads rolling. 

Post holiday weight loss 1.5kg. 
Making total loss 6.5kg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment