Saturday, January 4, 2014

Experimenting with zucchini

I've never denied or even tried to hide my contempt for vegetables. Especially those of the green variety. Peas are the work of the devil I'm sure. 

As a kid I only ate potato and corn on the cob dripping with butter and salt. Plus basic salad, lettuce, tomato & carrot. (No idea how I ended up obese lol). As I got older I expanded to mushrooms and recently sweet potato and pumpkin. You know, those delicious veggies that I can't have on this pre op stage. 

A while back I was at mums for dinner and she had fried up zucchini & bacon and forced me to try it. Assuring me zucchini didn't really have a taste and instead it just tried to disguise itself as what it was cooked with. And to be honest, it wasn't as bad as I expected. I mean really, bacon makes everything good. There may have actually been cabbage involved too. 

Since then I'd experimented with grated zucchini hidden in spaghetti sauce and quiche but never really made an effort with it. Until now. 

Thursday night I attempted to make zucchini & carrot chips. I used my mandolin to evenly slice them and tossed them in a dash of olive oil, garlic and my allowance of parmesan cheese. Placed them out on baking paper and popped in the oven for 20 min. 

The cheese burnt (parmesan is so delicious melted but such a fine line between melt and burn) but the ones that were more central were amazingly delicious. Even had to fight the kids off my plate. 

Will definitely be doing these again. Pre and post surgery. Next time, I'm going to let the zucchini sit for a bit first. I've discovered it has quite a bit of water and I think the chips would crisp up a bit better of they started drier. I will also not add the cheese until almost baked to avoid the burning issue. 

Zucchini and carrot chips = winning this game. 

Once I'm post op, will add sweet potato to the mix as I love sweet potato chips. Also wanting to check with dietitian if I can make beetroot ones too because I suspect they would be amazing and colourful. 

Friday night I had a slightly less successful zucchini experience. 

A friend lent me her machine thingy to make zucchini 'pasta'. The machine was great fun and it really did look like spaghetti. 

I fried some mushroom in a dash of oil and crushed garlic before adding the 'pasta'. 

It looked fantastic. It smelt great. It tasted meh. 

I'm not against trying again though. 

Facebook tells me that a number of my friends are all over this zucchini pasta deal and they had some great tips to try for a better result. 

So at some point, I'm going to try it again but drain the zucchini pasta first to let the moisture out and have it with a tomato based sauce. 

Stay tuned for an update on that one. 

1 comment:

  1. Beetroot chips are amazeballs. When you can eat chips again, Macrofoods sells beetroot, carrot and sweet potato chips and it's a brilliant combination. Roast beetroot is awesome too

    ReplyDelete