Saturday, December 28, 2013

Cauliflower pizza base.

Tonight I attempted to make cauliflower pizza bases to add some interest to my 2 serve of veggies a day allowance. 

Googled for recipes and took a bit from her and a bit from there. Used my Bellini but and food processor would work. 

This is what I did;
1. Half a cauliflower into Bellini and pulse a few times. 

*oh yeah, pre-heat your oven to 200-220 Celsius.* 

2. Move to bowl, cover with plastic wrap (no water needed) and microwave for 7 min. 
(Google said 6-8 minutes, I decided to split the difference. Once done I put it in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool. 

*next time, after cooking I will squeeze water out with a cloth. Was a bit wet and more googling suggested squeezing out excess water* 

3. In Bellini mixed 2 eggs, 60g mozzarella cheese (30g = 100calories in the one I had which is my daily dairy calorie allowance right now), teaspoon'ish of crushed garlic, oregano, mixed Italian herbs and salt. (I really suck at measuring. I like garlic do there was a lot) 

4. Pour egg mix into cooled cauliflower and stir. It's a pretty wet mixture. 

5. On a baking tray, or pizza stone put baking paper, (Apparently this is really important). Then split mixture in half (for my purposes, next time I'd split into 3) and use hands to flatten out. 

6. Cook in oven for 15-20 min. It browns up really quickly. 

7. Remove from oven and top with tasty stuff. I used crushed tomato, more garlic and sliced mushroom, but anything would work I imagine. I did add a sprinkling more cheese, which will equal out if I make it again in 3 lots. 

8. Pop back in the oven until cheese melts. If you have grill or grill function, use that. The base is cooked you're really just melting your cheese. 

Ok, so it's not real pizza. Not even really like real pizza. But when you can only have shakes x4 and 2 cups of approved veggies a day it's super appealing. 

As someone who hates vegetables and has never eaten cauliflower willingly, EVER, this was actually good. And really easy to make. 

Next step is to play around with cooking times to see if I can get it to crisp up more and use it as a kind of cracker for sliced tomato. 

No comments:

Post a Comment