Sunday, December 15, 2013

The What, Where, How, Why, When of it all.

On Monday 20th January 2014 I am booked in to have a Sleeve Gastrectomy at a local hospital with a well regarded and highly experienced surgeon.
 
Basically, via keyhole surgery, the Dr will removed 2/3 of my stomach, leaving me with  a tube shaped stomach, kind of the size and shape of a medium banana. After a 6-8 week period of adjustment, I will be able to eat pretty much any foods but in much smaller portions. Obviously being able to eat much smaller amounts, means that I need to make better choices about what I choose to put into my body to achieve maximum nutrition. The surgery takes around an hour, and I will spend 2-3 days in hospital before going home to rest for up to 2 weeks.
 
This surgery is permanent. Many of my loved ones have asked why this and not the adjustable/removable gastric band. The answer is simple, I have had a lifelong battle with food. The changes I make need to be life long too. I also know several people personally who have had the band and experienced complications. While I know that nothing is complication free, after research, talking to people who have had the sleeve done and long discussion with my surgeon, I have decided that the sleeve is the best option for me personally.
 
My loved ones have been incredibly supportive of my decision, some surprisingly so. I will need their continued love and support on days when this all gets hard. I don't need people who are going to be critical or judgemental about the choices I have made. This is not cheating, or the easy way out, this is major surgery that is going to change my life. Not only am I working with my surgeon, but also a Dietitian and Psychologist as a part of this process. This is about mind and body. If any of my friends think this is easy or cheating, I'd really prefer that they kept this to themselves.
 
Around Christmas 2012 I made the decision that move forward with this and in January 2013 upgraded my Private Health Insurance to cover the surgery. I had my initial consultation with the surgeon in April 2013 and since then have undergone a sleep study, which ruled out sleep apnoea but did confirm that I'm a dirty rotten snorer. I have met with the Dietitian to talk through the pre-op diet stage and with the Psychologist to talk about the mind games that are going to be coming my way. Before my surgery date I will meet with the Surgeon to discuss the actual process of what will happen and the Dietitian to discuss the post-op reintroduction of food.
 
I am blogging this experience for myself more than anything else, to track my progress, word vomit my feelings and not flood my Facebook wall with updates. This is the beginning of the new life that I'm going to really live.

No comments:

Post a Comment